The following is an edited compilation of many questions received via site comments, the contact form and my personal email. Thank you for your input.
April 7, 2011
Your Eminence, Cardinal Justin Rigali:
In the spirit of Vatican Council II’s Decree on Ecumenism, I ask you these questions on behalf of Catholics4Change. We are a community centered on the desire to respectfully share our concerns on important Church issues. We do not seek to change doctrine or sacred tradition. The change we seek is the creation of a more meaningful system of communication between the laity and Church leadership. In just a few weeks, the Web site Catholics4Change.com has received over 25,000 views, hundreds of comments and hundreds of subscriptions.
We respectfully request your answers by Thursday, April 15th and will publish your unedited answers on Catholics4Change.com by the 16th.
The Laity & Children
- Will you direct all pastors to hold meetings that will allow parishioners to be heard and to heal?
- Will the Archdiocese announce the names of any removed priests and the nature of the allegations to the entire Archdiocese? Over the course of their ministry, these priests “affected” many parishes, institutions and organizations.
- Since the 2002 United Bishop’s Conference Treaty for the Protection of Children, many Diocese have developed additional customized charters of child protection. Why doesn’t the Archdiocese of Philadelphia? Why do we lack “practical policy” for our children’s activities and events?
- Why is there disclaimer language in our policy that precedes the Standard of Ministerial Behavior and Boundaries?
- Will the Archdiocese establish a special collection for victim support groups with all collected money going directly those charities?
- To avoid conflicts of interest, will the Archdiocese fund a victim assistance program independent of the Archdiocese and its lawyers?
- Will you publicly support legislation that suspends for two years the civil statute of limitations on sex abuse claims? Will you also support the abolishment of the statute of limitations for sex offenses against minors?
- Will the Archdiocese use independent providers for the evaluation and treatment of priests accused of sexually abusing minors?
- Do you take responsibility for the lapses in zero tolerance that occurred between the 2005 and 2011 reports?
- What would Jesus do?
Thank you in advance.
Susan Matthews, founder of Catholics4Change.com
St. Mary of the Cross…St. Catherine of Siena…St. Gabriel, pray for us.