FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE, April 25, 2011
North Wales, PA – Catholics4Change.com will go offline to support Msgr. John Conway, the pastor who wrote to Cardinal Rigali about being “duped” into placing priests who had been accused of sex abuse. The group will attend his parish Mass on Sunday, May 1 at 10:45 a.m. at Mary, Mother of the Redeemer in North Wales. The group will distribute blue “Keep Kids Safe” ribbon stickers at the entry to create a visible sign of solidarity with the pastor.
Conway asked Cardinal Rigali to visit Montgomery County to reassure “the faithful” of his commitment to reforms. That request was denied.
“We need more priests to take a public stand for the protection of children – even if it means angering Church leaders,” says organizer and site creator, Susan Matthews. “The laity wants their priests to practice what they preach.”
The Archdiocesan Office for Communications answered Catholics4Change’s own letter to Cardinal Rigali. “It was a letter from the faithful in the pews and we didn’t get the respect or the ministry we deserve,” says Matthews. “Priests and laity have to work together to ensure child safety.” Catholics4Change will continue their offline efforts until Cardinal Rigali follows every recommendation in the Grand Jury report.
The parish is located at 1325 Upper State Road, North Wales, PA 19454.