WHAT: Rep. Mark Rozzi to address church leaders callous disregard for victims at Monday news conference
WHEN: Monday, July 18, 2016, 1:30 PM
WHERE: Outside front entrance, Cathedral Basilica of Saints Peter and Paul, 1723 Race St, Philadelphia, PA 19103
Directions – Nearby Parking
CONTACT: Charlie Vaihinger
House Democratic Communications Office
HARRISBURG, July 15, 2016 – State Rep. Mark Rozzi, D-Berks, announced today that he will be joining with victims and advocates for a news conference next week to discuss the callous disregard and disrespect church leaders have recently shown to victims of child sex abuse.
The news conference, which will be held at 1:30 p.m. on Monday, July 18 at the Cathedral Basilica of Saints Peter and Paul in Philadelphia, will focus on the recent death of victim Brian Gergely and the cancellation of a scheduled meeting between victim John-Michael Delaney and Archbishop Charles Chaput.
Participating in the news conference will include:
• Marci Hamilton, University of Pennsylvania Fox Distinguished Scholar
• John-Michael Delaney, victim of notorious Rev. James Brzyski
• Patrick Conlin, whose meeting request with the bishop of the Diocese of Allentown was denied.
• Victims featured in You Have the Power video; and
• Advocates and community leaders supporting Statute of Limitation reform for child sex abuse
Additionally, Rozzi said he intends to discuss the status of House Bill 1947, a statute of limitation reform bill from which the Senate stripped his retroactive amendment, which was overwhelming approved by the House in April.